Nurse Residency Programs
A Pathway to Success
Cooley Dickinson Hospital (CDH) is committed to supporting new graduate nurses and nurses who are new to acute care with a pathway to success as they transition from nursing school to practicing as a registered nurse. Our Nurse Residency Program, Mentorship Program, and Specialty specific orientation programs provide our new nurses with increased clinical support and education during orientation.
Why become a New Graduate Nurse at Cooley Dickinson Hospital?
- Community Environment with World-class Resources: Cooley Dickinson Hospital vision is to be the health care provider of choice in western Massachusetts, offering exceptional quality care, elevating the patient experience, and attracting and retaining the best talent, by combining the highest quality of community health care with the world-class medical expertise of Mass General Brigham. As a new nurse graduate, Cooley Dickinson’s affiliation with Mass General Brigham strengthens the care you provide to our community. Our partnership with Mass General Brigham ensures our clinical teams have access to the best equipment and services as well as state-of-the-art facilities.
- Commitment to Quality Patient Care: Awards and recognitions from independent agencies validate that our staff is continuously focused on improving the quality of care we provide. In 2022, Cooley Dickinson was named a Best Maternity Hospital by Newsweek We have received a Leapfrog Quality and Safety ‘A’ grade for 6 evaluation periods.
- Increased confidence, competence, and clinical judgement: Included in the program are monthly evidence-based courses that feature case presentations, didactic lecture, skills, and simulations, and are offered to you as paid time during your first year.
- Expanded learning and networking: Nurses will not only work with a preceptor and mentor, but they will be provided with experience days in other specialty areas to provide a well-rounded experience. We invite interdisciplinary speakers to our Nurse Residency Program classes such as wound care experts, respiratory therapists, behavioral health experts, stroke coordinators, nutritionists, and physical/occupational therapists.
- Increased satisfaction and professional commitment: Our programs allow nurse residents to connect with one another and share successes and challenges.
- Supportive Culture: Cooley Dickinson Hospital is committed to supporting our clinical staff and nursing team. We are a union environment with the goal of reduced patient ratios and increased clinical support services.
- Annual tuition reimbursement programs
- Free contact hours for license renewal
- Free AHA certifications as required for your role and paid educational time to complete them at CDH
- Optional paid mentor time during your first year, scheduled by you at your convenience
- Great nurse-patient ratios
- Support to apply for forgivable loans through Tuition IO
- Meaningful connections with patients
- Free on-campus parking
- Expert training on safe patient handling with our PT/OT department
All Cooley Dickinson employees working 20 hours a week or more have access to a comprehensive benefit package, starting on your first day of work, which includes:
- Competitive paid time off
- Generous health benefits with low employee contribution levels
- Retirement plan that includes employer contributions
- Optional dental, vision, accident, hospital indemnity, and pet insurance
- Short-term and long-term disability plans
- Flexible spending accounts
- Robust employee recognition programs
- Free on-site fitness center, open 24/7, and more!