New Beginnings is a program to promote education and support for pregnant and postpartum people in or working towards recovery from substance use. Here at Cooley Dickinson OB/GYN & Midwifery, we want to partner with you to improve health outcomes for you and your baby.
Who is eligible:
Pregnant and postpartum people (up to 2 years postpartum) with substance use disorder or who are in recovery from substance use. To be eligible for prenatal care, you must be a patient with Cooley Dickinson OB/GYN & Midwifery. The support group is open to all regardless of where you receive care. There are options for group care or individual care.
Topics will include the following and more:
- Discomforts of pregnancy & comfort measures
- Stress management & relapse prevention
- Nutrition during pregnancy
- Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome (neonatal withdrawal) – expectations, scoring system, and how to soothe a baby with withdrawal symptoms
- Labor & birth
- Postpartum planning
- What to expect from Social Work/DCF
- Breastfeeding and newborn care
Group Prenatal Care: Session dates determined at the time of enrollment. Hours: noon – 2 pm
Support Group: Every Tuesday 2:30 – 3:30 pm
Offered in person at the Yellow House, 10 Denniston Place, Northampton, and also virtually. Click here for virtual support group.
Groups are confidential and led by a midwife.