Programs and Classes
Step Up Diabetes Lifestyle Management Program
The Step Up program is for people recently diagnosed with pre-diabetes or type 2 diabetes, as well as those living with type 1 diabetes. Through structured exercise, nutrition and meal planning, behavioral support, and medication management, the Step Up Program helps participants gain and maintain healthy lifestyles. Contact us at 413-586-1601 for dates and location.
Diabetes Basic Class Series
The Diabetes Basic Class Series instructors teach and review basic information for anyone with diabetes.
- Class I (2 hrs): Overview of diabetes, diabetes care and goal setting
- Class II (2 hrs): Nutrition
- Class III (2 hrs): Medications, preventing complications
- Class IV (2 hrs): Exercise, coping
How You Can Prevent Diabetes
Are you at risk for developing type 2 diabetes? Did you know it is possible to prevent or delay type 2 diabetes? A Diabetes Educator from the Cooley Dickinson Medical Group Diabetes Center will discuss diabetes prevention. Contact us at 413-586-1601 to inquire about upcoming dates.
Living Well with Diabetes
This series is offered four times a year. Speakers address issues that are common to people living with diabetes. Contact us at 413-586-1601 to inquire about upcoming dates.
Walk the aisles of Stop & Shop on these healthy food tours, in search of diabetic-friendly meal options. The program is free, but you must register in advance as tour size is limited. People living with diabetes and their families are encouraged to attend. Our certified diabetes educators conduct the tours in Northampton, Hadley, and Greenfield. See the class page for dates and locations and to register.
Cooking Class for People with Diabetes
Learn how to cook quick meals that are healthy and affordable, and that you will enjoy. This class is held monthly on the third Tuesday at 6 pm at The Baker’s Pin at 34 Bridge Street in Northampton (across from the post office). Registration is required and space is limited to 12 participants per class. Cost: $5 per person. See the class page for more information and to register.
Insulin Pump Therapy Program
We provide individual and group education as well as support for insulin pump therapy, including individualized pump start and follow-up visits. The program consists of:
Diabetes Tech 101
- Find out if insulin pump therapy and continuous glucose monitoring are right for you. We will also discuss preparing for either if you chose to use one or both of these therapies. (2 hrs.)
Advanced Pump Classes
- Site care, hospitalization, time off the pump and trouble-shooting (2 hrs.)
- Tweaking your basal (slow-acting insulin) rates and bolus (fast-acting insulin) doses (2 hrs.)
- Better boluses and temporary basal rates (2 hrs.)
For more information about these classes, view the classes and events page or call 413-586-1601.
You can inquire about these services through the Cooley Dickinson Medical Group Diabetes Center:
- Individual assessment and follow-up sessions with diabetes educators and dieticians
- Medical nutrition therapy assessments with Diabetes Center registered dietitians