The Care You Need, Now
Northampton Urgent Care (at Cooley Dickinson Hospital) is currently closed until further notice. Anyone seeking care for non-respiratory illness or non-emergency injuries can be seen at the Cooley Dickinson Urgent Care in Southampton, located on 12 College Highway in the Big Y Plaza, or at the Amherst Urgent Care, at 170 University Drive. Those who are seeking care for respiratory symptoms should contact their primary care provider. Those who are seeking care for respiratory symptoms and do not have a primary care provider can call the Cooley Dickinson Community Call Center at 1-888-554-4234 between the hours of 8:00am – 5:00pm for guidance.
If you are experiencing a fever, runny nose, cough, shortness of breath or flu-like symptoms, please call your primary care doctor.
Life’s unexpected medical problems don’t follow regular office hours. That’s why there’s Cooley Dickinson Urgent Care. Offering afternoon, evening and weekend walk-in hours, we treat non-life-threatening minor illnesses and injuries with skill, compassion, and efficiency—advancing your health right here at Cooley Dickinson Hospital.
No Appointment Needed.
Cooley Dickinson Urgent Care offers virtual visits for treatment of non-life-threatening illnesses.
We provide walk-in service for patients ages 2 and up. Our experienced caregivers are here to diagnose and treat an array of medical problems, including:
- Cold/flu symptoms
- Sore throat
- Viral illnesses
- Cuts/minor lacerations
- Sutures/suture removal
- Minor burns
- Ear and eye infections
- Respiratory infections
- Urinary tract infections
- Minor fractures
- Incision & drainage of abscesses
- Simple removal of foreign bodies
We also provide routine health care services such as sports and camp physicals.
- X-Rays/Radiology: Combining state-of-the art technology with highly skilled radiologists and imaging technologists, we offer the region’s leading diagnostics capabilities.
- Lab Services: Cooley Dickinson’s Lab/Patient Service Center is accredited by the Commission on Laboratory Accreditation of the College of American Pathologists, affirming our dedication to safe, quality patient care.
- Insurance: Cooley Dickinson Health Care is contracted with most major insurance companies. Please check with your carrier to determine whether a referral or preauthorization is required.
Time and Cost
With urgent care, wait times are typically shorter and insurance copays are typically lower than emergency room care. And because we’re located right at the hospital, access to medical records and updates is fast and efficient.
Urgent Care in an Ideal Location
Because we’re conveniently located in the main corridor of Cooley Dickinson Hospital, we’re easy to get to, with fast, on-site access to hospital diagnostic services, as well as the resources of Mass General, one of the top hospitals in America according to US News and World Report.
Urgent Care Billing at Partners HealthCare
Urgent Care services are available at multiple Partners HealthCare locations.
The billing information below does not apply to Urgent Care services provided at centers named “Partners Urgent Care” located in Boston and surrounding communities.
How Urgent Care Billing May Affect Me
Since the locations listed below are not considered by health insurance plans to be Urgent Care Centers, your co-payment benefits for urgent care services typically will not apply. Instead, your visit to these locations will likely be billed either as a physician office visit or a hospital outpatient visit.
Physician Office Locations
Urgent Care services provided at the following Partners HealthCare locations are typically billed to your health insurance plan as a physician or nurse practitioner office visit:
- Cooley Dickinson Urgent Care, Northampton, MA
- Harbor Medical Associates Urgent Care, South Weymouth, MA
- North Shore Urgent Care, Danvers, MA
- Pentucket Medical ExpressCare Andover, MA • Lawrence, MA
Hospital Outpatient Locations
Urgent Care services provided at the following Partners HealthCare locations are typically billed to your health insurance plan as a hospital outpatient visit:
- Brigham and Women’s Urgent Care Center, Foxborough, MA
- Newton-Wellesley Urgent Care Center—Waltham, Waltham, MA
- Massachusetts General Hospital Chelsea HealthCare Center Urgent Care, Chelsea, MA
- Massachusetts General Hospital Medical Walk-In Unit, Boston, MA
Understanding Whether My Urgent Care Visit Takes Place at a Physician Office or a Hospital Outpatient Center
You can find information about whether your visit is a physician office or hospital outpatient visit in notices in our waiting rooms, on the websites of our hospitals and physician groups, and in this guide.
Payment Responsibility for Urgent Care Services at the Locations Listed in This Guide
For physician office locations:
- Urgent Care services are typically billed as a physician or nurse practitioner visit, and your out-of-pocket costs are usually limited to the co-payment required by your health insurance plan.
- We will request your co-payment when you check in for the visit.
For hospital outpatient locations:
- Your out-of-pocket costs for the physician or nurse practitioner visit are usually limited to the co-payment required by your health insurance plan. We will request your co-payment when you check in for the visit.
- You will also be billed for what is commonly known as a “facility fee” for use of the hospital space, equipment, and support staff.
- Your health insurance plan may apply these hospital fees to your annual deductible, and after you have paid your deductible in full, you may be billed for a co-insurance payment.
- We will send you a bill if there is any unpaid balance after we receive payment for your visit from your health insurance plan.
Referrals and Prior Authorizations
For both physician office visits and hospital outpatient visits, your health insurance plan may require you to get a referral or authorization. In addition, Partners HealthCare providers may be considered “In Network” or “Out of Network” depending on the specifics of your health insurance plan, which could affect the amount you pay.
Billing for Procedures Performed During the Visit
No matter the location, if a procedure is performed during the visit, you may have further out-of-pocket costs for additional physicians’ services and for use of the hospital facilities and staff, even if the procedure was performed in the same exam room as the visit with the physician. Your health insurance plan may apply these additional physician and hospital charges to your annual deductible, and after you have paid your deductible in full, you may be responsible for an additional co-insurance payment.
Laboratory and Imaging Services
If your physician ordered laboratory tests or imaging services (such as X-ray, CT or MRI), you will be billed for these tests by the hospital, clinical laboratory, or imaging center, and you may also be billed for the services of the physicians (usually pathologists and radiologists) who interpreted the test results.
Special Notice for Medicare Patients
If you are a Medicare beneficiary and your visit takes place in a hospital outpatient location, you will be responsible for a Medicare Part B out-of-pocket co-insurance payment of approximately $25 for the hospital facility charge. Procedure charges or other testing could increase your out-of-pocket expense.
Understanding How Much My Visit Will Cost
It is your right to receive an estimate of the cost of your visit in advance of the visit. Please contact Partners Patient Billing Solutions (see below) at least two business days prior to your visit to get an estimate. Please have as many details as possible about the upcoming visit, including the provider name, location, and details of the planned service or procedure.
Please contact the Member Services department of your health insurance plan to verify your coverage and financial responsibility for Urgent Care services provided at any of the locations listed on this page. This phone number is usually located on your insurance card.
If Your Insurance Company Does Not Answer all of Your Questions, Please Contact Partners Patient Billing Solutions:
Patient Billing Solutions
399 Revolution Drive, Suite 410
Somerville, MA 02145–1462
Monday–Friday, 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM
Updated April 2019