Become a Hospice Volunteer
“When you volunteer, you are not paid in money or recognition. You are paid in LOVE.
People may forget what you said or did.
But they will never forget how it made them FEEL.”
Are you looking to make a difference in someone’s life while doing something that is deeply rewarding and meaningful? Consider becoming a hospice volunteer for Cooley Dickinson Hospice. Our hospice volunteers come from all walks of life, and are crucial partners in bringing comfort and support to our community of patients facing end of life. As an integral member of our hospice team, you can help in a number of ways:
Ways to Volunteer:
- Patient Companionship – Sitting quietly, reading, playing music, watching TV, sharing stories, holding hands, preparing meals, doing errands, being a caring presence.
- Family/Caregiver Support – Providing respite breaks and helping with errands.
- Complementary Therapies – Certified Massage, Reiki, music and pet therapists.
- Bereavement Support – Making bereavement calls, sending out mailings.
- Administrative Help – Assisting with typing, filing, sending letters and cards.
- Journey Home Singers – Singing with our renowned acapella singing group for patients in their home, at skilled nursing facilities or at Cooley Dickinson Hospital.
Hospice Volunteer Requirements
No experience is necessary. If you can meet these requirements, we’d love to talk with you!
- Must be 18 years of age or older
- Willing to complete about 18 hours of training (four Friday afternoons)
- Can donate about 2-4 hours per week, with a one year commitment (weekly donation hours will vary depending on assignments).
- Are a licensed driver with own transportation and auto insurance
- Willing to drive up to 20 minutes from your home to visit with patients.
- Will agree to a CORI check and employee health screening (for volunteers in direct patient contact)
- Will agree to health precautions and confidentiality standards
Thank you for your interest in becoming a volunteer for VNA & Hospice of Cooley Dickinson. We look forward to talking with you!
How to Apply
To apply, please read the attached Considering Being a Hospice Volunteer document, then complete and send a Hospice Volunteer Application (Click on “Fill & Sign” after opening the PDF, then save your completed form and email or mail to the address below). You can also apply online. Once reviewed, our Hospice Volunteer Coordinator, Carol Devine will schedule a one-on-one interview to more fully explore how we can match your interests with our needs. From there, we will complete background, health and reference checks, and enroll you in our next training program which we run twice each year in the spring and fall.
Contact Us/Learn More
To learn more about hospice volunteering and how you can make a profound difference while enriching your life, please contact our Hospice Volunteer Coordinator Carol Devine:
Hospice Volunteer Coordinator
VNA & Hospice of Cooley Dickinson